- "Can set up "Black Eye" cameras, fee accessible by whole team via observation tools."
— Gyro Cam Mk2 Description
Meghan J. "Valkyrie" Castellano is a Defending Operator featured in Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege, introduced in the Operation Dust Line expansion alongside Blackbeard. A Medium Armored Operator, Valkyrie's unique gadget are three Mk2 "Black Eye" Gyro Cams. They're portable sticky cameras that can attach on almost any surface for increased surveillance.
An Olympic hopeful in the 200-meter backstroke, Castellano split her time between the pool and the army base, where her father was a training officer. Her junior year, Castellano broke her arm in a car accident, putting an end to her Olympic ambitions. After high school, she enlisted in the Navy. Serving four years, before attending college on the Veterans Affairs bill, upon graduation she returned to the Navy as a career intelligence officer.
Castellano is singularly focused. She is driven and does not know how to give up on the goal easily. She will do whatever it takes to accomplish the mission in the most seamless and effective way possible.
Planting her Black Eye cameras around the objective, Valkyrie offers for herself and her teammates a greater choice of vision around the map. With vision becoming vital intel, incoming Attackers will not know right away from where they are being watched from.
- Valkyrie can throw up to three Black Eye cameras around the map that will stick to solid surfaces, which can then be viewed by the rest of the team. They are retrievable after being thrown.
- Unlike normal security cameras, Black Eye cameras are gyroscopic, making them capable of rotating close to 360 degrees and can look around faster than normal cameras. They also have a wider field of view.
- The Black Eye cameras also transmit a full-color feed, albeit with a slightly blue tint, instead of the monochrome feeds of the standard CCTVs making subtle but sometimes important details easier to spot.
- Black Eye cameras are identified as a blue dot on the camera selection HUD, in contrast to the grey ones for the normal security cameras.
- Valkyrie works well with more aggressive Defenders, such as Caveira and Pulse. Given their abilities, having additional camera feeds around the map can help cover their backs whilst giving them more awareness around areas the Black Eyes can surveil where the standard CCTVs cannot.
- As an electronic gadget, Valkyrie's Black Eyes are vulnerable to the same disadvantages held by other gadgets of its type.
- Thatcher's EMP Grenades will make quick work of the Black Eyes if they are within their area of effect.
- Twitch is an even bigger detriment if she uses her Shock Drone, because unlike Thatcher, Twitch's precision-based gadget allows her more versatility when it comes to dealing with this type of gadget in particular.
- IQ is the worst of the lot for Valkyrie as she has none of the restrictions of the other two, instead opting for her Electronics Scanner and P12 to take out any Black Eye that comes within its range.
- Due to her ability to gain access to the Defender's CCTV once she gets a hold of a deceased Defender's phone, Dokkaebi turns Valkyrie's Black Eyes against the Defenders, especially if they were originally placed in helpful locations.
The Gyro Cam Mk2 "Black Eye" is a quick deployment sticky camera that can stick to any surface. Once deployed, the entire defending team can view them in the same manner as normal cameras. These cameras have a wider field of view, capable of rotating 360 degrees when placed on the ground, and can look around faster than normal cameras. The image is in color with a blue tint. As with normal cameras, they may also be destroyed by the enemy team.
- Her name was first revealed with the announcement of the Operation Dust Line expansion on April 22, 2016.
- Her position as a US Navy SEAL contrasts the real-life Navy SEALs, which is currently only made up of male personnel. However, official materials acknowledged this fact by claiming she "was chosen to be one of the first women admitted to SEALs training."
- Valkyrie's military apparel consists of multiple Crye Precision equipment, specifically the AC combat pants in Multicam, and a Jumpable Plate Carrier (JPC).
- Valkyrie may be left-hand dominant due to where her magazine pouches are located. Mag pouches are usually located on their wearer's weak side, and because her guns aren't meant to be wielded left-handed, she's likely ambidextrous out of necessity.
- There is a slight continuity error between the in-game art and her in-game model (not including her general facial dislikeness); her in-game art depicts her as O+ blood type, but her in-game model, both her JPC and her knee pad have written that she is B+ blood type. This is likely a result of reusing assets from Blackbeard.
- Valkyrie once collaborated with GROM Operator Elżbieta Bosak in Operation Orange Sky in 2007. Acting as her source of intel, Ela spent months infiltrating a warlord’s inner circle before dismantling his network without harming a single civilian.
|Operators of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege|
- ↑ Update 3.0 Patch Notes - Dust Line
- ↑ https://rainbow6.ubisoft.com/siege/en-us/game-info/operator/valkyrie.aspx
- ↑ Ela's In-game BIO > BACKGROUND section