- "Can set up "Black Eye" cameras, fee accessible by whole team via observation tools."
— Gyro Cam Mk2 Description
Meghan J. "Valkyrie" Castellano is a Defending Operator featured in Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege, introduced in the Operation Dust Line expansion alongside Blackbeard. A Medium Armored Operator, Valkyrie's unique gadget are three Mk2 "Black Eye" Gyro Cams. They're portable sticky cameras that can attach on almost any surface for increased surveillance.
An Olympic hopeful in the 200-meter backstroke, Castellano split her time between the pool and the army base, where her father was a training officer. Her junior year, Castellano broke her arm in a car accident, putting an end to her Olympic ambitions. After high school, she enlisted in the Navy. Serving four years, before attending college on the Veterans Affairs bill, upon graduation she returned to the Navy as a career intelligence officer.
Castellano is singularly focused. She is driven and does not know how to give up on the goal easily. She will do whatever it takes to accomplish the mission in the most seamless and effective way possible.
- Valkyrie can throw up to three Black Eye cameras around the map that will stick to solid surfaces, which can then be viewed by the rest of the team. Ideal places for cameras are areas where enemies are predicted to enter through, rooms not already under surveillance, or in rooms where the default cameras are prone to destruction. Placing cameras in the objective room may be redundant, as Defenders will likely already be aware of the enemy's presence.
- Unlike normal security cameras, Black Eye cameras are gyroscopic, making them capable of rotating 360 degrees and can look around faster than normal cameras. They also have a wider field of view. The Black Eye cameras also transmit a full-color feed instead of a monochrome feed, making subtle but sometimes important details easier to spot.
- Black Eye cameras are identified as a blue dot on the camera selection HUD, in contrast to the grey ones for the normal security cameras.
- Black Eye cameras are smaller and harder to spot than default cameras, but have a blue light when in use and using the spot function will notify enemies of their presence. As they can adhere to most surfaces at any orientation, they can be hidden by placing them in dark areas or camouflaged among miscellaneous items around the map.
- The Nitro Cell and Black Eyes can be used to set up traps by watching when enemies near the explosive and then triggering it. The effectiveness can be increased with good communication between teammates.
The Gyro Cam Mk2 "Black Eye" is a quick deployment sticky camera that can stick to any surface. Once deployed, the entire defending team can view them in the same manner as normal cameras. These cameras have a wider field of view, capable of rotating 360 degrees when placed on the ground, and can look around faster than normal cameras. The image is in color with a blue tint. As with normal cameras, they may also be destroyed by the enemy team.
- Her name was first revealed with the announcement of the Operation Dust Line expansion on April 22, 2016.
- Her position as a US Navy SEAL contrasts the real-life Navy SEALs, which is currently only made up of male personnel. However, official materials acknowledged this fact by claiming she "was chosen to be one of the first women admitted to SEALs training."
- Valkyrie's military apparel consists of multiple Crye Precision equipment, specifically the AC combat pants in Multicam, and a Jumpable Plate Carrier (JPC).
- Valkyrie may be left-hand dominant due to where her magazine pouches are located. Mag pouches are usually located on their wearer's weak side, and because her guns aren't meant to be wielded left-handed, she's likely ambidextrous out of necessity.
- There is a slight continuity error between the in-game art and her in-game model (not including her general facial dislikeness); her in-game art depicts her as O+ blood type, but her in-game model has her market on both her JPC and her knee pad that she is B+ blood type (reusing assets from Blackbeard.)
|Operators of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege|