Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear: Black Thorn was developed by Red Storm Entertainment, and published by Ubisoft, and was released as a stand-alone Add-On on December 15, 2001. Black Thorn featured 9 new single-player maps (originally it'd have been 10 but one was cut after the September 11, 2001 attacks). This delayed the original date of September 15, 2001. 6 new multiplayer maps, 10 new weapons, and a new multiplayer variation on the "Lone Wolf" game type in which one player takes on everyone else; the winner of the round then becomes the new "Lone Wolf". The plot features a mentally disturbed ex-SAS operative challenging Team Rainbow with reenactments of real-life terrorist attacks, such as the Entebbe crisis and the Japanese Embassy Siege.
In Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear - Black Thorn someone is recreating terrorism's most violent acts and Rainbow is back on the job. But this new deadly enemy knows how Rainbow thinks how Rainbow acts and how to stay one step ahead. This tactical first-person shooter expands on the Rogue Spear storyline but as a stand alone mission pack it does not require Rogue Spear to play. Face new single-player missions and multi-player maps in this squad-based shooter that combines classic Rogue Spear games types with an exciting new story and new weapons. Product Features 9 new single-player missions wrapped in a thrilling new story.
- Desert Dragon - Caracas, 05.26.2004 / 06:00 Hours
- Silent Ace - Tunis, 06.13.2004 / 01:25 Hours
- Copper King - Loyada, 06.24.2004 / 12:15 Hours
- Coarse Blade - Nigerian jungles, 07.06.2004 / 06:50 Hours
- Spirit Clasp - Pattaya, 07.19.2004 / 16:20 Hours
- Golden Song - Halfweg, 07.30.2004 / 05:35 Hours
- Blunt Scroll - Mombasa, 08.03.2004 / 23:20 Hours
- Broken Sceptre - Milan, 08.11.2004 / 11:05 Hours
- Empty Cloud - Athens, 08.24.2004 / 14:35 Hours