- "Uses EMP Grenades to disable any electronics in range."
— EG MKO-EMP Grenade Description
Mike "Thatcher" Baker is an Attacking Operator featured in Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege. A Medium Armored Operator, Thatcher is equipped with three EG MKO-EMP Grenades which disables all electronics that fall within its area of effect.
Born into a family of stevedores, Baker enlisted for active military duty on his eighteenth birthday. A veteran of three wars, he saw action at the battle of Goose Green during the Falklands Conflict, participated in Operation Nimrod of the Iranian Embassy Siege as a part of Team Blue in 1980, and was also assigned to unit Bravo Two Zero of the SAS during the Gulf War in 1991. Baker was the oldest SAS operative on active duty until he was recruited by Rainbow.
Highly observant, calculating and decisive, Baker’s demeanor may denote traces of impatient cynicism, but he possesses a profound sense of ethical responsibility. He does best when assigned with junior operators of strong moral conviction, whom he can mentor.
- Thatcher can disable enemy traps that are out of reach: if you know the enemy's location, you can break a window or blow a wall out to throw the EMP grenade from cover - any electronics that are in the range of the grenade's blast will be instantly disabled.
- Thatcher is extremely effective at counteracting Signal Disruptors laid by Mute or Shock Wire laid by Bandit allowing players the opportunity to then be able to breach the previously protected objects.
- Customization-wise, you can equip Breach Charges for versatility and be able to breach walls and floors on your own, or you can use Claymores instead for a more protective play-style.
- Thatcher’s primary weapons consist of an AR33, which he can swap it out for a L85A2 for better damage but lower rate of fire and a M590A1 for better breaching potential.
The EMP’s efficiency in anti-electronic warfare has been known and studied since the early 1960s and features prominently in media depictions, but practical battlefield applications have eluded CTU squads until very recently. Team Rainbow’s engineers recently made a breakthrough in solving the problem of creating a localized fission reaction, while keeping gamma radiation to tolerable levels, resulting in the EG MKO-EMP Grenade, a personal handheld device. No one is more suited to wield this novel device than Thatcher, known for his warnings against over-reliance on technology.
- His EMP Grenade has the Union Flag painted on top of it, the flag of the United Kingdom.
- Thatcher's name may be a reference to Margaret Thatcher, the British Prime Minister during the 1980 Iranian Embassy Siege, which according to Thatcher's bio notes, he was a part of.
- Thatcher's mask is that of an SF10, a Special Forces variant of the S10 NBC Respirator that was used by the SAS in the 1980s. His body armor is that of a modified SAS pigskin vest.
|Operators of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege|