- "GPS satellites? Unmanned drones? Fucking laser sights? The more crutches you have, the more it hurts when they're kicked out from under ya. If there's one thing I know for sure, it's that a six inch blade never loses reception."
Mike "Thatcher" Baker is an Attacking Operator featured in Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege. A Medium Armored Operator, Thatcher is equipped with three EG MKO-EMP Grenades which disables all electronics that fall within its area of effect.
Born into a family of stevedores, Baker enlisted for active military duty on his eighteenth birthday. A veteran of three wars, he saw action at the battle of Goose Green during the Falklands Conflict, participated in Operation Nimrod of the Iranian Embassy Siege as a part of Team Blue in 1980, and was also assigned to unit Bravo Two Zero of the SAS during the Gulf War in 1991. Baker was the oldest SAS operative on active duty until he was recruited by Rainbow.
Highly observant, calculating and decisive, Baker’s demeanor may denote traces of impatient cynicism, but he possesses a profound sense of ethical responsibility. He does best when assigned with junior operators of strong moral conviction, whom he can mentor.
Thatcher is essentially an anti-electronics Operator. He can disable any kind electronic device, like C4 and even Laser Sights. With a single throw, that is all he needs to wipe out most of a room's gadgets.
- The EG MKO-EMP Grenade gives Thatcher a means to destroy or disable the Defender's gadgets from afar. When tossed, they will let out an electromagnetic pulse after a few seconds, either destroying or disabling defender gadgets caught in the radius.
- The following gadgets will be destroyed if they are caught within the EMP radius:
- The following gadgets will be temporarily disabled if they are caught within the EMP radius:
- Electronic Sights caught within the EMP radius will be disabled for 10 seconds.
- An electromagnetic pulse will temporarily disable lights caught in its radius.
- The EMP Grenade will not affect any electronics from the Attackers.
- The electromagnetic pulse passes through surfaces, allowing Thatcher to destroy devices on the other side of a wall.
- The EMP Grenades still have the throwing profile of regular grenades, so take into consideration the trajectory of the arc.
- However, the EMP Grenade cannot be cooked and will always detonate after a few seconds when being thrown.
- Because of this absolute delay, Thatcher should time his actions to coordinate with the Grenade.
- While non-lethal, hitting an Operator directly with the Grenade will still deal minor damage as other throwable objects can.
- When faced with a Mute and Bandit, Thatcher counters both with ease. While Mute's Signal Disruptor can disrupt Attacker's gadgets and tools, and Bandit's Shock Wires destroys such equipment by touch, Thatcher's EMP Grenade will remove these gadgets without a problem. This then grants the Attackers the opportunity to breach the previously protected area.
As an Ally
- Thatcher's EMP Grenades are a valuable asset to the Attackers, especially when faced with a Defending team filled with electronic device-based Operators.
- Breaching Operators who can break through Reinforced Walls benefit the most from pairing with Thatcher, as their biggest obstacle tends to be Mute's Signal Disruptors and Bandit's Shock Wires, both which can be removed with the EMP Grenade.
- The benefits also extend to other Operators whose gadget can be disrupted by the Signal Disruptors, such as Blitz's Flash Shield.
- When aware of electronics, especially those out of reach or in the area of enemy presence, one should communicate with Thatcher to have the electronics disabled or destroyed.
- With this tactic, Thatcher works well with IQ who is able to see through walls electronics. With her Electronics Detector, she can ping to where the electronics are most clustered to get the best out of Thatcher's EMP Grenades.
As an Enemy
- The EMP Grenade is a merciless gadget that can disable or destroy the Defender's gadgets in one grenade toss. As a Defender, be wary and also accepting if faced with Thatcher.
- While the Grenades wipe out electronics, they will only affect gadgets that are out and activated. In other words, being on top of an EMP Grenade with an electronic gadget in one's pocket will not end up with the gadgets being affected.
- When anticipating that a Thatcher is on the Attacker's side, as a Defending Operator with an electronic gadget, it is a good idea to keep hold of one piece in provision. This way, if Thatcher does destroy your gadget, you can attempt to replace it right away, sometimes without the Thatcher realizing it.
- A more risky alternative is to look out for the sound of the EMP Grenade being thrown, to then retrieve one's gadget. While retrieving gadgets may take less time than the EMP Grenade blowing after being thrown, this requires high reaction speed. This is also not optimal when more than one gadget is already deployed in the vicinity of the Grenade, as only one of the many gadgets can be saved through this tactic.
- The EMP Grenade does not affect mechanical devices such as Frost's Welcome Mat, making her the perfect trap-using Operator against Thatcher.
- Because they are grenades, Jäger's Active Defense Systems will eliminate chucked EMP Grenades out of the air, preventing allied gadgets from being destroyed or disabled. However, this only applies to when it has a line of sight of the Grenade, and can still be destroyed through walls and other surfaces.
- While his Yokai Drone can be disabled temporarily, a good number of ceilings that Echo's Drone can attach to are high enough to avoid being affected by Thatcher's Grenades. Even then, be still wary in the case that the Drone is disabled.
EMP Grenade x 3
- "Uses EMP Grenades to disable any electronics in range."
— EG MKO-EMP Grenade Description
The EMP’s efficiency in anti-electronic warfare has been known and studied since the early 1960s and features prominently in media depictions, but practical battlefield applications have eluded CTU squads until very recently. Team Rainbow’s engineers recently made a breakthrough in solving the problem of creating a localized fission reaction, while keeping gamma radiation to tolerable levels, resulting in the EG MKO-EMP Grenade, a personal handheld device. No one is more suited to wield this novel device than Thatcher, known for his warnings against over-reliance on technology.
- His EMP Grenade has the Union Flag painted on top of it, the flag of the United Kingdom.
- Thatcher's name may be a reference to Margaret Thatcher, the British Prime Minister during the 1980 Iranian Embassy Siege, which according to Thatcher's bio notes, he was a part of.
- Thatcher's mask is that of an SF10, a Special Forces variant of the S10 NBC Respirator that was used by the SAS in the 1980s. His body armor is that of a modified SAS pigskin vest.
- Thatcher has a stiletto blade attached to his left sleeve, which he can be seen using in his Operator video.
|Operators of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege|