- "GPS satellites? Unmanned drones? Fucking laser sights? The more crutches you have, the more it hurts when they're kicked out from under ya. If there's one thing I know for sure, it's that a six inch blade never loses reception."
Mike "Thatcher" Baker is an Attacking Operator featured in Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege.
Born into a family of stevedores, Baker enlisted for active military duty on his eighteenth birthday. A veteran of three wars, Baker was the oldest SAS operative on active duty until he was recruited by Rainbow.
Baker is highly observant, calculating and decisive. While his demeanor may denote traces of impatient cynicism, Baker possesses a profound sense of ethical responsibility. It is recommended to assign Baker with junior operators of strong moral conviction, whom he can mentor.
A Medium Armored Operator, Thatcher is equipped with three EG MKO-EMP Grenades. These grenades disable all electronics that are within its area of effect.
- The EG MKO-EMP Grenade gives Thatcher a means to destroy or disable any Defender's electronic gadgets from afar. When tossed, they will let out an electromagnetic pulse after a few seconds, either destroying or disabling defender gadgets caught within its 5-meter radius.
- The following gadgets will be destroyed if they are caught within the EMP radius:
- The following gadgets will be temporarily disabled if they are caught within the EMP radius:
- Pulse's Heartbeat Sensor. It freezes the screen; although scan lines are made, it will not report any new heartbeat.
- If there were heartbeats when affected by the EMP blast, the heartbeat icon will stay in place for the disabled duration.
- Echo's Yokai drone. It will drop to the ground if it was attached to the ceiling when it was hit by the EMP. Vision on the drone will be similar being affected by Mute's Jammers.
- Vigil's ERC-7.
- Maestro's Evil Eyes. Even if the Camera's shield is open, it will simply be disabled as well.
- Alibi's Prismas.
- Thatcher gets points for destroying and disabling gadgets, allowing an EMP grenade to function as a proximity sensor against Pulse and Vigil.
- Defender Electronic Sights (i.e. Red Dot Sight, Reflex Sight, Holographic Sight) caught within the EMP radius will be disabled for 10 seconds, during which their reticule will disappear, with only slight fragments remaining.
- Defender Laser Sights will be disabled for the same duration, with a corresponding decrease in hipfire accuracy.
- The EMP Grenade will not affect any electronics from the Attackers.
- The electromagnetic pulse passes through surfaces, allowing Thatcher to destroy devices on the other side of a wall.
- The EMP Grenades still have the throwing profile of regular grenades. However, the EMP Grenade cannot be cooked and will always detonate after a few seconds when being thrown.
- While non-lethal, hitting an Operator directly with the Grenade will still deal minor damage as other throwable objects can.
- Thermite and Hibana benefit the most from pairing with Thatcher, as their biggest obstacle tends to be Mute's Signal Disruptors and Bandit's Shock Wires when it comes to destroying Reinforced Walls.
- The benefits also extend to other Operators whose gadget can be disrupted by the Signal Disruptors, such as Blitz's Flash Shield.
- Thatcher pairs well with Attacking operators tasked with dealing with electronics:
- IQ can help Thatcher to see through walls electronics. With her Electronics Detector, she can ping to where the electronics are most clustered to get the best out of Thatcher's EMP Grenades.
- Twitch can help aid in destroying individual electronic gadgets to help Thatcher reserve his EMP grenades for large clusters of electronics.
- The EMP Grenade does not affect mechanical devices such as Frost's Welcome Mat.
- Because they are still grenades, Jäger's Active Defense Systems will eliminate chucked EMP Grenades out of the air, preventing defending gadgets from being destroyed or disabled. However, this only applies to when the Magpies have a line of sight of the Grenade, and can still be destroyed through walls and other surfaces.
- While his Yokai Drone can be disabled temporarily, some ceilings Echo's Drone can attach to are high enough to avoid being affected by Thatcher's Grenades.
EMP Grenade x 3
- "Uses EMP Grenades to disable any electronics in range."
— EG MKO-EMP Grenade Description
The EMP's efficiency in anti-electronic warfare has been known and studied since the early 1960s and features prominently in media depictions, but practical battlefield applications have eluded CTU squads until very recently. Team Rainbow's engineers recently made a breakthrough in solving the problem of creating a localized fission reaction, while keeping gamma radiation to tolerable levels, resulting in the EG MKO-EMP Grenade, a personal handheld device. No one is more suited to wield this novel device than Thatcher, known for his warnings against over-reliance on technology.
- His EMP Grenade has the Union Flag painted on top of it, the flag of the United Kingdom.
- The EMP Grenades will also interact with the surroundings realistically, turning off lights temporarily.
- Thatcher's mask is that of an SF10, a Special Forces variant of the S10 NBC Respirator that was used by the SAS in the 1980s. His body armor is that of a modified SAS pigskin vest.
- Thatcher has a stiletto blade attached to his left sleeve, which he can be seen using in his Operator video.
- The ribbon on Thatcher’s vest is that of a Military Medal, which were discontinued in 1993.
- Thatcher has taken part of three different conflicts: The Battle of Goose Green during the Falklands War, the Iranian Embassy siege on Team Blue of Operation Nimrod and the Gulf War in the unit Bravo Two Zero.
- Thatcher and Smoke teamed up and joined forces with SDU Operator Liu "Lesion" Tze Long on the latter's first operation, Operation Green Viper. Upon completion of the mission, the two helped celebrate Lesion's first successful mission with an extra day in Macau, filing the event as an off-duty bonus.
- Though the exact details of the event are unknown, Thatcher punched GIGN Operator and CBRN specialist Olivier "Lion" Flament after the latter said the wrong thing during a training exercise, almost bringing their respective CTUs to blows.
- ↑ Thatcher's In-game BIO (Pre-Patch 3.1.2)
- ↑ Thatcher's In-game BIO
- ↑ Thatcher's In-game BIO > BACKGROUND section
- ↑ Thatcher's In-game BIO > PSYCHOLOGICAL PROFILE section
- ↑ Reddit: Thatcher EMP and ACOG Interactions
- ↑ Thatcher's In-game BIO > NOTES section
- ↑ Operation Blood Orchid - Operator: Lesion (雷)
- ↑ Lion's In-game BIO > PSYCHOLOGICAL PROFILE section
|Operators of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege|