|Date||7th Febuary, 2000|
|Objective||Rescue the ambasador|
Rescue the staff member
|Next mission||Operation: Cold Thunder|
Steel Wind is the first mission in Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six.
Earlier this evening, armed members of the terrorist organization "Free Europe" seized control of the Belgian embassy in London. Your mission is to retake the embassy with minimal civilian losses.
John Clark - Looks like we've got our first real job. The Brits would love to send in the SAS but the word from Brussels is "no way", and London says the same about the Belgian ESI. I don't have to tell you that we're going under the microscope on this one. There're folks on both sides of the Atlantic who still aren't convinced that there's any need for a group like RAINBOW. Take your time and study the situation carefully before you light the fuse. If we blow it the first time out, they may just shut us down.
This is Rainbow's first official mission. The British military had proposed that they send in the S.A.S. to resolve the crisis, but the Belgian government in Brussels isn't at all happy with that decision. Every government official is all eyes on this mission. Both sides of the Atlantic tends to disagree with the existence with a group like Rainbow, so if Rainbow blows this one up, NATO might just shut the organization down.
As for the Free Europe terrorists, everything we know indicates that they are not too well organized, however their recorded history dating back from 1996, shows that they are highly dangerous and will not hesitate in executing the hostages if action is taken against them.
Rainbow's objective is to neutralize all the terrorists residing inside the embassy or to rescue the hostage(s) by escorting them to the extraction zone, with minimal civilian losses. No matter what difficulty the mission is on, RAINBOW still must rescue the ambassador. The ambassador has not yet been detected by any of the terrorists yet, but if a terrorist finds him, he will be executed. If the mission is played on Veteran or Elite difficulty, then there will be a second hostage on the first floor (the ambassador's aide). This hostage is guarded by one terrorist, but the terrorist will not execute her unless if he sees any member of RAINBOW in the embassy. If a hostage is executed or all of the RAINBOW operatives are unable to fight, the mission counts as a failure. If the player succeeds, an image of the ambassador and his aide being guarded by RAINBOW operatives in front of the embassy appears. If the player fails the mission, an image of two dead RAINBOW operatives in the street appears.
The enemy is scattered out on both floors of the embassy, there is a high chance that most of the terrorists will be located on the first floor. On the second and third floors you will find many narrow rooms and corridors, so watch out for enemy fire coming from anywhere inside the rooms or on the far side of the corridors. More terrorists (and one additional hostage) are added if this mission is played on veteran or harder. The enemies do not appear to be wearing any body armor. Frag grenades are often discouraged in this mission, since the terrorists are not in groups. These terrorists are normally armed with Uzis, but on the third floor, terrorists have AK-47s. A well timed assault with each team entering all areas of the embassy could easily result in the mission's success in under two minutes.
- This is one of the only two missions in which a hostage (in this case the ambassador) has not been detected but will be killed if detected by terrorists (the other being the boy in Ghost Dance, but only on veteran or higher)
- On the mission failure screen, images of RAINBOW operatives are shown dead in the street, but the terrorists will never leave the embassy, rendering such a situation to be unlikely.
- In the intro, RAINBOW is seen killing Free Europe members on this map, but there is a unique female terrorist model that is killed. However, this model does not show up for Free Europe until Red Wolf, so the terrorist model was likely scrapped for that mission.
- Free Europe is the only terrorist group to have disguises that cover their face. In Steel Wind all terrorists have red or blue bandanas and in Red Wolf, some of them have ski masks.
- Free Europe the only group not related to the Phoenix group that appears as an enemy more than once during the game.