- "I know what you're wondering. "What's in the canister?" I could tell ya, but then I'd have to kill you. Hehe. I'm only mucking about, relax. As for what's in the canister, it's best you don't ask."
James "Smoke" Porter is a Defending Operator featured in Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege.
Porter was not an academic, although in secondary school, he excelled in science. He took a particular interest in biology and the unit on dissection. During his gap year, Porter enlisted in the British Army, using a fake ID to circumvent parental consent.
Porter is a thrill seeker with very little regard for his personal safety. He is fearless in battle and can be a great asset for defensive maneuvers. However, he seems to enjoy the havoc and chaos of war. He tends to have an odd sense of humor in stressful situations. Can be narcissistic.
A Medium Armored Operator, Smoke is equipped with three Compound Z8 Remote Gas Grenades, remotely detonated gas canisters that will damage and possibly kill whoever it comes in contact with, whether they be friend or foe.
- Smoke's Gas Grenades can latch onto most surfaces. Once activated, the Gas Grenades will release its toxic contents.
- The smoke deals 15 points of damage every half-second, regardless of the Operator's Armor and Speed rating.
- Because Smoke is equipped with a full filtering system, only he is immune to his own gas.
- The Gas will also damage the Hostage in the Hostage gamemode, and can even kill them.
- The Gas Grenades can be detonated from a remote location, allowing Smoke to be anywhere else.
- The gas of the Gas Grenade will primarily spread parallel to the surface that it is attached to, not perpendicularly, and will not spread to areas behind it.
- The Gas Grenade can be used like Nitro Cells, tossed and immediately detonated as a quick Gas Grenade in a firefight. They have a throwing profile similar to an Impact Grenade, meaning that they can be thrown quite far.
- Even if enemies are not caught within the Gas, the Gas is thick enough to act like a Smoke Grenade, blocking vision in the given area.
- Smoke works well with other Defenders who has Barbed Wire in their arsenal. This reduction in movement speed simultaneously increases his Gas Grenade's effectiveness as the victims struggle to escape from the gas cloud further.
- Due to Smoke's Gas Grenades utilizing a remote control to detonate, it is susceptible to the same disadvantages of other electronic gadgets.
- Although not immediate counters to the Gas Grenades, Light Armored Operators are able to escape the Gas quicker than the other two Armor Types.
Remote Gas Grenade x 3
- "Sets remote detonated toxic gas charges"
— Compound Z8 Grenade Description
Porter requested a portable defense system that could deliver the most damage to intruders in a targeted area. Fashioned with a remote detonator, Porter can view the results from a distance. The mines are filled with a collection of biological substances, that on their own are inert, but when combined, have a more volatile effect. The resulting concoction incapacitates anyone exposed to it.
- Smoke's original date of birth was stated to be on May 14, 1990. The year was later changed to 1981 with the release of the game.
- Smoke joined the Army Boxing Team as a middleweight when he was stationed in Belfast. The reason for this was finding his post dull in the wake of the March 2007 treaty.
- Smoke and Thatcher teamed up and joined forces with SDU Operator Liu Tze Long on the latter's first operation, Operation Green Viper. Upon completion of the mission, the two helped celebrate Lesion's first successful mission with an extra day in Macau, filing the event as an off-duty bonus.
|Operators of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege|