Seamus "Sledge" Cowden is an Attacking Operator featured in Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege.
Seamus Cowden hails from the upper tip of the Scottish Highlands. Due to his imposing physical stature and athleticism, he found early success as the Captain of the 1998 Scotland National under-20 Rugby Union Team. A strong desire for public service inspired Cowden to enlist in the army at 18, after five years of active duty, he was recruited by the SAS.
Cowden displays natural leadership qualities, likely developed during his amateur sports career. His comfort on the front line can be attributed to his confidence and tactical experience.
A Medium Armored Operator, Sledge wields a specialized Tactical Breaching Hammer, known as "The Caber", which can breach through most walls and barricades with relative silence. Because of this, Sledge is able to bust through walls and barricades with at silent yet aggressive pace.
- The Breaching Hammer allows Sledge to break breachable surfaces with one swing, opening a hole large enough to both shoot through and climb into.
- The Hammer can also take out many obstacles with a single blow, especially those that take at least a couple hits. This includes Barbed Wire and Castle's Armor Panels, which Sledge can destroy with a single smash.
- While capable of destroying many surfaces, the Hammer can't break through non-destructible surfaces, such as Reinforced Walls. Not only will the surface not be broken, but Sledge's Hammer will lose durability in vain.
- The Hammer has limited durability, containing twenty-five "charges". Breaching a wall consumes two charges while breaching a barricade and hitting anything else takes one.
- Though impractical, Sledge's breaching hammer is capable of killing enemies in one hit, which counts as 2 charges.
- Like other gadgets in the game, Sledge takes a moment to unequip his hammer after using it. This brief delay will leave him vulnerable.
- The Breaching Hammer needs to be fairly close to a wall in order to destroy both sides of the wall. If not, the Hammer will only break the external surface, leaving the internal one intact. This necessitates a second swing, delaying breach and wasting the Breaching Hammer's durability.
- Sledge works especially well with other Breaching Operators such as Thermite, Buck and Hibana. While he and Buck can destroy non-reinforced walls, Thermite and Hibana can breach those that are reinforced with their exothermic gadgets.
- Sledge works well with mid to long-range Operators, so Operators such as Glaz can aid him from afar.
- Pulse can detect Sledge through his Cardiac Sensor like everyone else, giving his position away and thus results in losing the element of surprise.
Tactical Breaching Hammer
- "Uses a Breaching Hammer to breach through destructible surfaces."
— Tactical Breaching Hammer "The Caber" Description
While breaching hammers are nothing new to CTU or law enforcement operations, “The Caber” is unique due its exceptional size and weight. Such dimensions would be impractical in the hands of most agents but Sledge’s exceptional physical prowess make it a formidable presence on the battlefield, allowing for quick and effective breaches.Sledge’s breaching hammer was directly inspired by CTU battering rams. There are four kinds of breaching tools: mechanical, ballistic, explosive and thermal. Using sledgehammers or other blunt objects to breach is known as mechanical breaching, and often serves as a relatively quiet supplement compared to the other, more attention-grabbing methods. Mechanical breaching was used during the Iranian Embassy Siege to gain access to rooms and is still used in modern-day conflicts in tight urban zones where ballistic or explosive breaching methods carry more risk.
- The in-game bio of Seamus Cowden can be seen for a quick moment in 1:15 of the White Masks Reveal trailer at E3 2015.
- On Sledge's character model, there is a tartan on the right of his lower leg. The same tartan pattern can be seen wrapped on The Caber. Both either resemble or actually is the tartan of Clan Stewart, suggesting that he's either a member of the clan or is just there as a nod of his nationality.
|Operators of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege|