- "These soldiers think their training will keep them alive. They break down doors and come through windows, weapons drawn. They check the corners, watch each other's backs, and give the all clear. But it's too late. They forgot the first rule of survival. A real hunter always watches where he steps."
Maxim "Kapkan" Basuda (Russian: Максим Басудa) is a Defending Operator featured in Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege.
Born and raised in Kovrov, Basuda is the eldest of three sons of parents who were factory workers. Hoping to escape a grueling life in the factory, he enlisted with the Ministry of Internal Affairs and was sent to Naryan-Mar, a small sea and river port town on the Barents Sea. Basuda became an avid hunter and trapper during his time in the Arctic Circle, before being transferred to Beslan in 2002.
Basuda is a self-sufficient realist. He has seen the harsh reality of the world and does not allow that to hinder his ability to act. He's fascinated by psychology; what allows one creature to become a hunter and the other prey.
A Medium Armored Operator, Kapkan comes equipped with his homemade EDD MKII Tripwires, special mines that can anchor on doorway and window frames, detonating when enemies trigger its laser.
- Kapkan has up to five Entry Denial Devices that can be anchored on doorway and window frames. These devices will trigger immediately when an enemy passes through the tripwire, dealing heavy damage to anyone and anything in its explosive radius.
- Each EDD can be attached to the frame of a doorway or window. Only one device can be deployed on each frame. The position of the deployed EDD corresponds to the position the player was aiming at when starting the deployment animation.
- The lowest an EDD can be placed on windows is around chest-height.
- The lowest placement on a doorway is varied between doorways, although it is usually between shin-height down to being at ankle-height.
- In either case, the highest an EDD can be placed is head-height.
- The base damage of an EDD is 60, and like other explosives, this damage is affected by an Operator's Armor Type. This makes it so that Operators with Medium or Heavy Armor will receive 51 and 45 damage respectively from the traps.
- The explosion has an effective range of three meters before dropping off harshly.
- The EDD device works well with anything that can help obstruct doorways or windows, such as Deployable Shields and Barricades.
- An EDD will only trigger when an enemy touches its invisible laser. So it is possible to have the following scenarios:
- An Attacker jumps over a Deployable Shield, completely dodging an EDD that was place very low on the doorframe.
- An Attacker melees a barricaded window, but their hand hits through into an EDD's laser, triggering it.
- Kapkan's EDDs are destructible and can be destroyed with a single gunshot.
- As an electronic device, EDDs are susceptible to the same disadvantages as other gadgets of its type.
- Operators with shields receive reduced damage if their shield is facing the explosion, thus allowing them to take minimal damage from the devices.
- Ash, due to the explosive and flexible nature of her Breaching Rounds, can destroy Barricades and Deployable Shields on doorways or windows, also removing any EDD device on the frame as she enters through it.
- Zofia to a lesser extent follows the same strategy, but may not destroy the EDD device on larger doorframes.
Entry Denial Device x 5
- "Sets booby traps on windows and door frames."
— EDD MK II Description
Kapkan is a very efficient trapper, being capable of placing his traps inside doorways and windows, which will be detonated by enemies going through them. The EDD Mk II can be mounted into windows and door frames. It explodes when enemies enter trapped entryways, projecting shrapnel at anyone located in the device’s blast radius.
This lightweight mine design comes with a long screw to embed the device in door and window frames. The EDD Mk II utilizes a packed C4 charge to propel an assortment of screws held in stasis by a silicon pad. The EDD Mk II proves necessity is the mother of invention.
- Kapkan (Russian: Капкан) means "trap" in Russian.
- Kapkan was one of only a handful of police officers who survived the Beslan School Siege.
- Kapkan has an extensive collection of weapons and survival gear, as well as design and build snares and traps as a hobby.
- Kapkan wears a Gorka 4 in SS-Spring pattern with a Gearcraft Viper Hood and a Fort Defender 2 Low Profile body armour with an SSO/SPOSN Avizent Smersh AK over it.
- Kapkan is the first Operator, not including the FBI SWAT Recruit, to receive a change post-launch related to their Armor and Speed rating. His Armor and Speed rating at launch was Heavy (3 Armor, 1 Speed).
|Operators of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege|