- "Razor wire that slows down attackers."
— In-game description
Barbed Wire is a gadget featured in Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege. It can be equipped as a piece of starting equipment by many Defenders as an alternative of other equipment, such as the Deployable Shield or Nitro Cell.
The main feature of Barbed Wire is to slow the movement of any Attackers and Drones that enter it. On top of that, when enemies do enter Barbed Wire, they create rustling sounds which Defenders can take advantage of. They are best used at choke points and around the Hostage during the Hostage gamemode.
- When deployed, the Barbed Wire will cover an area. The deployment of this area will be close to the Operator's feet, in the direction of where their crosshair points to (eg. deploys further away from the Operator when looking forward than when looking at one's own feet).
- The Barbed Wire will cover a 1.25-meter radius of ground from its center. This is large enough to cover the ground of any door/entryway.
- It will not go through walls and obstacles. So, if placed against such surfaces, the effective area of Barbed Wire will be reduced.
- While Barbed Wire can be placed on top of each other, this will not increase the slowing effect of the Wires, neither would it be harder to remove the Barbed Wire.
- On the contrary, Operators can remove more than one set of Barbed Wire with their melee as long as the Wire is within the hitbox of their melee's range. Thus, overlapping Barbed Wire does not have any benefit.
- The Barbed Wire will slow an Operator by 45%, while disallowing them from sprinting while in it.
- Defenders will not have their movement hindered by the Barbed Wire.
- When entering the Barbed Wire, rustling sounds will be made, giving an audio cue for nearby Defenders to take advantage of. However, take note that both Defenders and Attackers will make this rustling sound when entering Barbed Wire, so be wary of who is in it.
- Aside from Operators, Drones will also be slowed while in Barbed wire.
- Barbed Wire can be destroyed in a handful of ways:
- Explosives will easily take out Barbed Wire that are in their explosion radius, making explosive Gadgets great for clearing Barbed Wire.
- This also applies for Defenders, making Barbed Wire questionable if they should be placed near Kapkan's Tripwires.
- Operators can melee Barbed Wire to destroy them. It takes two strikes to destroy Barbed Wire. Multiple Barbed Wires can be attacked per melee strike if the Barbed Wires are in range of the melee's hitbox.
- Sledge is able to take out Barbed Wire with one strike of his Breaching Hammer.
- However, gunfire is not able to take out Barbed Wire.
- Bandit's Shock Wire can electrify the Barbed Wire, electrocuting any Attackers and destroying any electronic equipment that move through it.
- This includes any ally's gadgets, such as Kapkan's Tripwires, Mute's Signal Disruptors, Ela's Grzmot Mines and Lesion's Gu mines.
- Otherwise, Bandit is optimized to make use of Barbed Wires since he is the only Operator who can hold three of them at the start of a round, compared to all other Operators who can only have two.